GI Bill Education Benefits

All degree programs offered at Western Governors University are deemed approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for all education benefits offered under the GI Bill®. Education benefit options are available for veterans and active duty servicepersons, dependents, and those with service in the National Guard and Reserves. Eligibility for benefits and the amounts available depend upon the serviceperson’s period of military service, years of service, and other factors.

NOTE: Forever GI Bill – Harry W. Colmery Veterans Educational Assistance Act, effective August 2017. The new Forever GI Bill offers significant changes to veterans’ education benefits. For example, it expands the number of veterans eligible to use the GI Bill to include National Guardsmen, Reservists and those who received a Purple Heart post-9/11. It also eliminates the previous 15-year time limit for veterans who left active duty on or after January 1, 2013. The Forever GI Bill requires applicants to have 90 days of active duty after September 10, 2001. Find out more at

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered through Veterans Affairs is available at the official U.S. government website at

Because WGU’s tuition rates are quite modest, most education benefits will generally be eligible for benefits that more than cover the full cost of tuition, fees, and books.

After you are admitted to WGU, your Enrollment Counselor can direct you to WGU’s Military Support department for specific instructions on completing the necessary paperwork.

Indiana National Guard Supplemental Grant (NGSG)

WGU Indiana is approved to provide grants and scholarships available through the State Student Assistance Commission of Indiana (SSACI). The Indiana National Guard Supplemental Grant (NGSG) guarantees up to 100 percent of eligible tuition costs for qualified members of the Indiana Air and Army National Guard.

Learn more about the NGSG and Indiana state financial aid and grants.

Military Tuition Assistance

The competency-based degree programs at WGU are approved for Military Tuition Assistance. This approval was granted after a rigorous review by the Department of Defense that affirmed the substantive quality of WGU programs and the comparability of WGU’s competency units to traditional credit hours.

Military personnel may apply for Tuition Assistance through their base education office or other standard methods. (Click here if you are a base education officer.) Your Enrollment Counselor can direct you to the MTA team in Admissions or WGU’s Military Support department to explain the process.

Learn more about how WGU serves the military student through Tuition Assistance.

Learn more about WGU Scholarships specially designed for military personnel, veterans, and spouses.

Request Info Apply Now

Questions and Answers

Select a question from the left, see the answer to the right.

Will I qualify for full-time or ¾-time VA benefits?

The GI Bill is very generous for WGU students. As a WGU student, you may choose to qualify for either full-time, 3/4-time, or half-time benefits in an undergraduate program. (Half-time benefits are considered to be 12 competency units, a standard full-time load for undergraduate students at WGU.) You can vary your attendance time from term to term. Graduate students will always qualify for full-time benefits when enrolled in the minimum requirement of 8 competency units.

Can I also get financial aid?

Because any veterans’ benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is not considered income, it should not be reported on your application for financial aid as such. Submitting a FAFSA is necessary to know whether you qualify for a Pell Grant and/or student loans. Students utilizing Military Tuition Assistance funds must indicate this on their FAFSA as an additional resource toward their tuition cost which may affect the amount of their award. Click here to learn more about or apply for financial aid.

How quickly can I get my VA money?

After you have started your degree program and developed your personalized Degree Plan, the VA department at WGU will certify your program of study to the VA. This is done by the third week of the first month of each term. You should receive your first benefit payment within 5-8 weeks after a certification is submitted each term. You should then regularly receive a monthly payment after the last day of each month and your verification of attendance (if applicable). But first, you must apply to WGU and be admitted. And you will need to have received notice of your VA education benefit eligibility. WGU’s VA department can help you complete the necessary steps for attendance certification.

Will I get credit for my military experience?

WGU does not award traditional “credits” directly for military experience, but an incoming student may have certain requirements waived when the military experience has been ACE-reviewed and applied directly to the WGU degree program. WGU can also waive requirements based upon DANTES and CLEP exams that match with WGU program requirements and meet minimum grading standards. A transcript review is required to determine exactly what can be waived. More importantly, everything you’ve learned that’s relevant to your degree program can potentially help you accelerate your degree. Talk to an Enrollment Counselor to get a detailed explanation. If you have served in any branch of the military you should be able to obtain a military transcript—WGU’s VA department can direct you to the online resources to request it.

How do my Post 9/11 education benefits work at WGU?

Post 9/11 (CH 33) benefits are paid differently than older chapters. Based on your entitlement—which is factored from your length of qualifying active-duty service—a percentage of your tuition and fees will be sent directly to the school. 100 percent entitlement will cover your tuition and fees completely each term you have remaining entitlement. You will also receive a monthly stipend sent directly to you if you are not on active duty or the spouse of an active-duty service member utilizing a transfer of entitlement. This payment is 50 percent of the amount paid to a student attending an on-campus school, multiplied by your rate of pursuit. In an undergraduate program, 18 CU’s is considered 100 percent pursuit, but you do not have to enroll in 18 CU’s to get the benefit. 12-17 CU’s will be paid at the corresponding lesser percentage. In a graduate program, 8 CU’s is considered 100 percent pursuit. You will also receive a book stipend once each term up to the capped amount for your entitlement.

Schema Markup for WGU Indiana Logo

You’re using an unsupported version of your browser..

You’ll still have full access to the site, but some functionality may be lost. For the best experience, upgrade your browser by following the links below.