Answering your Questions about Admissions

Q: Will you admit students who live outside of the state of Indiana?
Unfortunately, no. WGU Indiana admissions are only open to in-state residents. Students who live in other states are encouraged to explore our parent institution Western Governors University.

Q. What if my prior college no longer exists?
If you attended a college that no longer exists, it may be possible to retrieve your transcripts from a state agency, such as a Department of Consumer Affairs or Department of Higher Education. If the college was taken over by another school, check with their Registrar or Records Department. You may submit any unofficial copies of transcripts or course records, although we cannot promise to waive WGU Indiana requirements based on these records.

Q: Do I have to pay the application fee to be admitted?
Yes, your payment must be submitted before enrollment. WGU Indiana’s application fees help support our costs related to processing, transcript collection, etc. However, you may speak with an Enrollment Counselor regardless of your application fee status.

Note: Federal financial aid cannot be used to pay your application fee.

Q: What if English isn't my first language?
At WGU Indiana, you will be expected to communicate in writing and over the phone with your mentor and WGU Indiana staff. If English is not your native language, you must complete the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Note: the TOEFL code for Western Governors University is 3949. We will consider your application after receiving proof of your qualifying score of 80 or higher.

To learn more about TOEFL, visit their website. For more information, contact an Enrollment Counselor.

Q: Does WGU Indiana require transcript submissions?
Yes. Transcripts are used by your assigned mentor to help develop your personalized Degree Plan. WGU Indiana requires that transcripts of all previous academic work completed at other colleges or universities be submitted for evaluation. It is your obligation to request official transcripts from the institutions you have attended when applying for admission. At the present time, we don’t require a minimum grade point average (GPA) or SAT/ACT scores for admission.

Q: Can I transfer previously earned college credits to WGU Indiana?
Yes. If you’re applying for a bachelor’s degree program and have completed college coursework at another institution, you may have your transcripts evaluated and may be able to have some or all of the requirements for lower-division courses cleared through transfer credits. In some programs, professional certifications may clear additional requirements.

Q: I have logged several credit hours, but I don't have a bachelor's or associate's degree. What will transfer?
It depends on how well the courses you’ve already taken match the competencies in the WGU Indiana degree program you’re applying for. Each WGU Indiana degree program specifies the competencies you must possess and demonstrate mastery of in order to receive your degree; having accumulated credits isn’t sufficient proof that you have mastered the competencies. Prior courses must be relevant. If your prior coursework directly matches the requirements for your WGU Indiana bachelor’s degree, you may be able to clear one or more required lower-division courses. However, if your coursework was in subject areas that don’t match WGU Indiana’s degree requirements, the amount of transfer credit you receive may be limited.

Q: Who reviews my transcripts? How long does it take?
Your official transcripts are evaluated by a member of the Transcripts Department of our parent institution, Western Governors University. We will inform you via email when your transcripts are received, and your Enrollment Counselor will contact you with the results, usually within three (3) business days.

Q: What is the deadline for transcript submission?
Transcripts must be received by the 1st of the month prior to your intended start date. WGU Indiana requires that ALL official transcripts of previous academic work completed at other colleges and universities be submitted for evaluation.

The Transcripts Department should receive official transcripts by the 1st of the month prior to the start date of your program. It is your obligation to request official transcripts from all institutions you have attended. PLEASE REQUEST TRANSCRIPTS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Transcripts should be mailed directly from the sending institution to the following address:

Transcripts Department
Western Governors University
4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
Salt Lake City, UT 84107


How to request transcripts

Q: Do you require transcripts from graduate students?
Students applying to a graduate degree program must submit an official transcript verifying receipt of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Transcripts should be received by the 1st of the month prior to the start of your program. (Some exceptions may apply. Talk to an Enrollment Counselor for exact deadlines.) Graduate-level program requirements are never cleared through transfer credit, however, competencies obtained through prior study may help graduate students accelerate toward degree completion.

Request Info Apply Now

Schema Markup for WGU Indiana Logo

You’re using an unsupported version of your browser..

You’ll still have full access to the site, but some functionality may be lost. For the best experience, upgrade your browser by following the links below.