Become a Teacher in Indiana
Are you looking to make a difference? Earning your teaching degree will help you meet state requirements and connect with your students.
Before becoming a licensed teacher, you must meet all of Indiana's teacher certification requirements (for those who have attended out-of-state teacher prep programs), including:
- Graduation from a bachelor’s degree program offered by a regionally accredited college or university.
- Completion of an out-of-state approved/NCATE-accredited teacher education program.
- Standard teaching license awarded by another state’s department of education.
- Completion of the required CPR/Heimlich maneuver certification.
- Background clearance resulting from completion of the required background check by downloading the Request for Limited Adult Criminal History Application (SF8053) and sending it, along with payment as specified on the form, to the Indiana State Police mailing address listed on the bottom of page two.
- Passing scores on the Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Test.
- Passing scores on all of the required Praxis II content exams.
Note: Listed requirements are current and are subject to change at any time, even during enrollment.
For the most current information about becoming a teacher in the state of Indiana, please check the
Indiana Department of Education website:
Indiana Department of Education website