It takes a special kind of person to prepare today’s young minds for tomorrow’s challenges—and showing our appreciation takes a special kind of thank-you. The Teacher Appreciation Scholarship is for prospective and current teachers who want to earn a WGU degree to either earn their teacher certification or advance their teaching career. These scholarships, each valued up to $2,000, are designed to help current teachers improve their skill set in the classroom or move into administration, or to assist aspiring teachers in obtaining the required credentials for a rewarding career as an educator.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Complete an application for admission.
- Complete a scholarship application.
- Submit official transcripts of all prior college work.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be officially admitted to a WGU Teachers College degree program.
Multiple scholarships will be awarded. However, this is a competitive program and scholarships will be awarded based on a candidate’s academic record, financial need, readiness for online study at WGU Indiana, and current competency, plus other considerations.
NOTE: Students are eligible to apply for this scholarship up to 60 days prior to their start date and up to 60 days after starting a degree program. Students starting more than 60 days after submitting a scholarship application will not be considered for the scholarship. WGU employees and their spouses are not eligible to receive this scholarship.
- B.A. Interdisciplinary Studies (K-8)
- B.A. Special Education (K-12)
- B.A. Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
- B.A. Science (Chemistry, 5-12)
- B.A. Science (Physics, 5-12)
- B.A. Science (Biological Sciences (5-12)
- B.A. Science (Geosciences, 5-12)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Elem Ed (K-8)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Science (5-12)
- Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Prep, Social Science (5-12)
- M.A. Teaching (K-8)
- M.A. Teaching, English (5-12)
- M.A. Teaching, Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
- M.A. Teaching, Science (5-12)
- M.A. Teaching, Social Science (5-12)
For already-licensed teachers:
- M.S. Curriculum and Instruction
- M.S. Special Education (K-12)
- M.S. Educational Leadership
- M.A. English Language Learning/English as a Second Language (PreK-12)
- M.Ed. Instructional Design
- M.Ed. Learning and Technology
- M.A. Mathematics Education (K-6, 5-9, or 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Chemistry, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Physics, 5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Biological Sciences (5-12)
- M.A. Science Education (Geosciences, 5-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, English Language Learning (PreK-12)
- Endorsement Preparation Program, Educational Leadership
Before monies are distributed, the scholarship recipients must read the WGU Student Handbook and agree to and understand the academic progress, tuition, and refund policies. The student will also be required to agree to the WGU Scholarship Terms and Conditions before monies will be awarded. The student must also meet the university’s On Time Progress requirements to maintain scholarship eligibility. Each student can only be awarded one scholarship that is funded or administered through WGU during their degree program. Recipients must be U.S. citizens.
If you would like to discuss the scholarship program or WGU’s degrees before submitting an application for this scholarship, feel free to speak to an Enrollment Counselor toll-free at 877.214.7014.
FINANCIAL AID IS ALSO AVAILABLE
You may choose to pay for the remaining portion of your degree through federal financial aid (subject to your eligibility). Pell Grants, which do not have to be repaid, are granted based on financial need. Federal Direct Student Loans are available to all students. Subsidized loans, which are dependent on financial need, reduce the interest due on loans.
HOW TO APPLY
REVIEW SCHOLARSHIP OFFERINGS
Check out the scholarships currently available at WGU and identify some that might be right for you. We don’t want you to unnecessarily waste your time with applying if you don’t meet the scholarship qualifications, so it’s worth checking the website to make sure there is an opportunity that fits you.
COMPLETE THE ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
To be considered for any WGU scholarships, you must be provisionally accepted as a WGU student. Complete the admissions application and work with your enrollment counselor to move through the admissions process.
COMPLETE THE GENERAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
The general application is required for all WGU scholarships, and lets us learn more about you and which scholarships you may be eligible for. To access the application, you will need your MyWGU student portal credentials, which will be sent to you shortly after Step 2. You must complete the application within 60 days of your intended start date.
REVIEW RECOMMENDED OPPORTUNITIES AND APPLY FOR THEM
Based on what you tell us in Step 3, we’ll let you know which scholarships you might be eligible for. Finish up by reviewing the recommended opportunities and completing the supplemental application for each scholarship you’d like to be considered for. These additional applications need to be submitted within 5 days of submitting the general application.