MS in Information Security and Assurance
WGU Indiana's master’s degree program in Information Security and Assurance will provide you with the following skills:
- Network protection
- Planning, implementing, and managing enterprise-level security and system integrity.
The knowledge gained from your studies will help you become an expert IT security and assurance manager.
This program is certified by the National Security Agency’s Information Assurance Courseware Evaluation (IACE) Program. The certification verifies that WGU Indiana’s courseware meets the requirements established by the Committee on National Security Systems National Training Standards No. 4011 (Information Systems Security Professionals) and 4012 (Senior Systems Managers).
Who the Program is for:
- Experienced IT professionals seeking an in-depth education in IT security and assurance.
- Established network server administrators seeking a bachelor’s degree and certifications to advance their careers.
- Experienced IT professionals who require credentials to become IT security and assurance managers.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Your Program of Study
In the Information Security and Assurance master’s degree program, you will learn the skills essential to becoming an effective manager. This program includes the following areas of study and completion of a capstone project.
Fundamentals of Interconnecting Network Devices
Cyberlaw, Regulations and Compliance
Forensics and Network Intrusion
Security Policy and Standards
Disaster Recovery Planning, Prevention and Response
The complete M.S. program consists of 30 Competency Units (CUs; i.e., credit equivalents).
Note: This program is aligned with security standards put in place by the National Security Agency (NSA) and encompasses the 10 security domains that are the foundation of the Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
Recognized IT Certification Exams Incorporated into this Program
The program and tuition costs incorporate industry certifications as part of your degree. You will study for and complete the following certification exams:
- Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
- EC-Council Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures (EC0-350)
- EC-Council Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC0-349)
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Unlike schools that charge tuition based on credit hours, WGU Indiana focuses on the time needed to complete your entire degree rather than each course individually. WGU Indiana’s six-month terms are billed at a flat-rate tuition fee. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of eight Competency Units (CUs) for graduate students, as well as all coursework attempted in that time. WGU Indiana allows students to work at a pace that’s comfortable for which to complete a full-time course load. During each term, you may complete as many or as few competency units as you like; the same flat rate applies. The faster you complete your degree program, the more money you’ll save.
Our affordable tuition compares favorably to the rates of other in-state universities; costs are typically half of what other online universities charge. At WGU Indiana, you enjoy the savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal and state financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Indiana Advantage
In partnership with the state of Indiana, WGU Indiana leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education; we measure learning rather than credit hours. As a result, your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in IT education.
As a student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through our curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by WGU Indiana. You will also enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You will have access to all of WGU Indiana’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You will have the support of a mentor who will guide you throughout your WGU Indiana program.
- Online communities from Indiana and WGU's national student community. You will have access to WGU Indiana’s robust student community and interact with students located in Indiana and throughout the U.S.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. WGU Indiana allows you to establish your own pace to complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Indiana higher education, at WGU Indiana you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
WGU Indiana’s degree programs are competency-based; therefore, the time needed to complete your degree depends on your individual pace and how quickly you take and pass the required assessments. Many students progress faster than the average pace (described below) designed into each program. However, accomplishing this task isn’t easy.Standard Time to Completion: Two years.
WGU Indiana maintains a generous credit transfer policy. Learn more about transferring credits.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Indiana Admission Process
To be admitted into this WGU Indiana online IT degree program, you must:
- Apply for admission
- Be an Indiana resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or DETC-accredited institution.
- Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
- Have earned a bachelor's degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
- Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, or GCWN certification that was earned within the last five years.
- Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.
- Complete Western Governors University's online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Indiana degree program.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to learn more about what is required of you.