Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Preparation Program, Science (5-12)
Have a bachelor’s degree and looking to become a science teacher? The online science teacher certification program at WGU Indiana is the fastest way to earn your Indiana teaching license for science. You’ll become a highly qualified teacher prepared to teach high school science.
Who the program is for:
- Individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree (preferably in science or a related field) and want to become a certified high school science teacher.
- Unlicensed substitute teachers, career changers, retired military personnel, school paraprofessionals, and others with bachelor’s degrees who feel the call to teach.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
To be considered eligible for enrollment in this program, you must meet the appropriate content requirements (PDF). Speak to an Enrollment Counselor to determine whether you have the sufficient background for entry into this program.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, the online teaching degree programs at WGU Indiana are NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In WGU Indiana’s online post-baccalaureate program in science, you’ll learn the essential skills and knowledge needed to become a highly qualified high school science teacher. This program includes three domains of study, supervised practice teaching in an actual classroom, and completion of a professional portfolio.
Effective Teaching Practices
Foundations of Teaching
Demonstration Teaching (includes practice teaching)
Total Program: 28 Competency Units (credit equivalents)
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Demonstration Teaching (Student Teaching) Fee: $1,000 ($100 application fee + $900 fee)
At WGU Indiana, tuition is charged at a flat rate once every six months. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of competency units (the equivalent to credit hours)8 CUs is the minimum for post-baccalaureate studentsas well as all coursework attempted in that time. For the most part, there is no limit on the number of competency units you can attempt in a 6-month term. Whether you complete more or fewer units, you are charged the same flat rate.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Indiana state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Indiana, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Indiana Advantage
As part of our partnership with the state of Indiana, WGU Indiana leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education. This approach measures learning, not credit hours. Your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in science education.
As a WGU Indiana student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through a curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by Western Governors University. This means you’ll enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your guide throughout your WGU Indiana program.
- Online communities from Indiana and WGU's national student community. You’ll be able to take advantage of WGU’s robust student community and interact with students from both within Indiana and from all over the country.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at time. You'll be able to establish the pace at which you complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Indiana higher education, at WGU – Indiana you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
How long it takes for you to complete your program will vary. Because WGU Indiana is competency-based, the pace at which you complete your program depends on how quickly you are able to take and pass the required assessments. Many students are able to proceed faster than the normal pace (described below) designed into each program. But doing so isn’t easy.Standard Time to Completion: 1½ to 2 years.
Note: A personal evaluation of your transcripts from prior colleges is required prior to admission. While you cannot transfer credits directly toward completion of this program, your transcripts will be used to determine whether you have the necessary science academic content background for enrollment.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Indiana Admission Process
To enroll into this WGU Indiana program, you must:
- Be an Indiana resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess and provide proof of earning a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a regionally accredited institution.
- Complete Western Governors University's three-part online Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Indiana degree program.
Before beginning the Demonstration Teaching (student teaching) portion of the degree program, you will be required to complete the PRAXIS I Pre-Professional Skills Test and potentially a PRAXIS II exam. Registering and paying for these exams may be your responsibility. You are required to meet these Indiana-specific requirements prior to beginning the Foundations of Teaching domain of study.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor who can help you understand what is required of you.