MA in Mathematics Education
WGU Indiana's master’s degree program in Mathematics Education will take your teaching career to the next level. The program will provide you with the professional development needed to teach elementary or secondary school mathematics. The knowledge gained from your studies will help you become a more effective educator.
Who the program is for:
- Licensed teachers with a bachelor’s degree who wish to earn a mathematics master’s degree to enhance their skills.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, WGU Indiana is NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In the Mathematics Education master’s program, you will learn the skills essential to becoming a qualified middle or high school teacher. The program is comprised of one to two domains of study and a capstone project (the elementary option) or a teacher work sample. Your curriculum’s subject areas include:
For the elementary (K-6) option:
- Elementary Math Education
- Research Fundamentals
For the middle school (5-9) option:
- Mathematics Content (Grades 5-9)
- Research Fundamentals
For the high school (5-12) option:
- Mathematics Content (Grades 5-12)
The complete M.A. programs consist of the following Competency Units (CUs; i.e., credit equivalents):
Elementary (K-6) Option: 30 CUs
Middle School (5-9) Option: 34 CUs
High School (5-12) Option: 34 CUs
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Unlike schools that charge tuition based on credit hours, WGU Indiana focuses on the time needed to complete your entire degree rather than each course individually. WGU Indiana’s six-month terms are billed at a flat-rate tuition fee. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of eight Competency Units (CUs) for graduate students, as well as all coursework attempted in that time. WGU Indiana allows students to work at a pace that’s comfortable for which to complete a full-time course load. During each term, you may complete as many or as few competency units as you like; the same flat rate applies. The faster you complete your degree program, the more money you’ll save.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Indiana state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Indiana, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Indiana Advantage
In partnership with the state of Indiana, WGU Indiana leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education; we measure learning rather than credit hours. As a result, your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in mathematics education.
As a student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through our curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by WGU Indiana. You will also enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You will have access to all of WGU Indiana’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You will have the support of a mentor who will guide you throughout your WGU Indiana program.
- Online communities from Indiana and WGU's national student community. You will have access to WGU Indiana’s robust student community and interact with students located in Indiana and throughout the U.S.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. WGU Indiana allows you to establish your own pace to complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Indiana higher education, at WGU Indiana you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
WGU Indiana’s degree programs are competency-based; therefore, the time needed to complete your degree depends on your individual pace and how quickly you take and pass the required assessments. Many students progress faster than the average pace (described below) designed into each program. However, accomplishing this task isn’t easy.Standard Time to Completion: 2 to 2½ years.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Indiana Admission Process
To enroll into WGU Indiana’s Mathematics Education master’s degree program, you must:
- Apply for admission.
- Be an Indiana resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess and provide proof of earning a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Possess a valid teaching license.
- Show proof of having completed a college-level Precalculus or Calculus course with a grade of C or better. Why do you have these requirements?
- Complete a WGU Indiana Collegiate Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Indiana degree program.
- Complete an Intake Interview with your Enrollment Counselor to assess whether your background is a "fit" with WGU Indiana's expectations.