MA in English Language Learning
WGU Indiana's master’s degree program in ELL/ESL will transform you into an educational leader. The program will prepare you to teach effectively in ELL or ESL settings and provide curricular leadership in your school system. The knowledge gained from your studies will help you become an asset in your community.
Who the program is for:
- Licensed teachers with bachelor’s degrees who are interested in ELL or ESL instruction.
- Community college teachers who work in ELL or ESL settings.
- District instructional personnel and curricula leaders.
- "Emergency credentialed" ELL or ESL teachers who require endorsements to be considered highly qualified.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
IMPORTANT: This program is not for those who want to learn to speak and write the English language. This program is also not for those interested in becoming English teachers or teaching English in a foreign country. This program leads to endorsement in ELL or ESL in the state of Indiana. If you wish to pursue that endorsement, you will need to complete your practicum at the K-12 level that aligns with your state endorsement requirements and the WGU ELL PreK-12 program. Students who complete their practicum in any other setting other than a K-12 setting should be prepared NOT to be recommended for licensure. Each student should be aware of the Indiana requirements for K-12 educators.
Note: As part of Western Governors University, WGU Indiana is NCATE accredited.
Your Program of Study
In the ELL/ESL master’s program, you will learn the skills essential to becoming a qualified teacher. The program is comprised of two domains of study and a capstone project. Your curriculum’s subject areas include:
- English Language Learning
- Research Fundamentals
The complete M.A. program consists of 39 Competency Units (CUs; i.e., credit equivalents).
Tuition and Fees
Basic Tuition: $2,890 per six-month term
Resource Fee: $145 per six-month term (non-refundable)
Application Fee: $65 (one time)
Unlike schools that charge tuition based on credit hours, WGU Indiana focuses on the time needed to complete your entire degree rather than each course individually. WGU Indiana’s six-month terms are billed at a flat-rate tuition fee. Your tuition covers the minimum "full-time load" of eight Competency Units (CUs) for graduate students, as well as all coursework attempted in that time. WGU Indiana allows students to work at a pace that’s comfortable for which to complete a full-time course load. During each term, you may complete as many or as few competency units as you like; the same flat rate applies. The faster you complete your degree program, the more money you’ll save.
Tuition compares favorably to the rates of Indiana state universities. Our tuition is also typically half what other online universities charge. At WGU Indiana, you enjoy the cost savings of a nonprofit university.
Federal financial aid is available to those who qualify. Learn more about financial aid
The WGU Indiana Advantage
In partnership with the state of Indiana, WGU Indiana leverages Western Governors University’s unique, competency-based approach to education; we measure learning rather than credit hours. As a result, your progress is based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in ELL and ESL education.
As a student, you’ll receive a top-notch education through our curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services provided by WGU Indiana. You will also enjoy the advantages of:
- Superior learning resources. You will have access to all of WGU Indiana’s courses of study, learning modules, e-textbooks, tutorials, and simulations as you complete your program.
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. You will have the support of a mentor who will guide you throughout your WGU Indiana program.
- Online communities from Indiana and WGU's national student community. You will have access to WGU Indiana’s robust student community and interact with students located in Indiana and throughout the U.S.
- Flexible online degrees that fit your lifestyle. Learning can occur anywhere and at any time. WGU Indiana allows you to establish your own pace to complete your rigorous program and create a schedule that works for you.
One of the best values in Indiana higher education, at WGU Indiana you can expect to earn a relevant degree on your schedule and within your budget.
Time to Completion
WGU Indiana’s degree programs are competency-based; therefore, the time needed to complete your degree depends on your individual pace and how quickly you take and pass the required assessments. Many students progress faster than the average pace (described below) designed into each program. However, accomplishing this task isn’t easy.Standard Time to Completion: 2 to 2½ years.
Speak to an Enrollment Counselor for a personalized estimate of your time to completion.
WGU Indiana Admission Process
To enroll into WGU Indiana’s ELL/ESL master’s degree program, you must:
- Apply for admission.
- Be an Indiana resident and provide proof of residence.
- Possess and provide proof of earning a bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Possess a valid teaching license.
- WGU Indiana recommends, but does not require, six credit hours (one year) of college-level foreign language study.
- Complete a WGU Indiana Collegiate Readiness Assessment. This test helps determine your likelihood for success in a WGU Indiana degree program.
- Complete an Intake Interview with your Enrollment Counselor to assess whether your background is a "fit" with WGU Indiana's expectations.