About WGU Indiana
A new kind of university for Indiana: An online university designed to prepare Hoosiers for 21st century careers
WGU Indiana is an online, competency-based university designed to expand access to higher education for Indiana residents. Established by the state of Indiana in partnership with Western Governors University, WGU Indiana is designed to serve the needs of Indiana citizens. WGU Indiana offers more than 50 accredited bachelor’s and master’s degrees in high-demand career fields.
The principal goal of WGU Indiana is to open doors to higher education for adult learners through:
- Access to quality education. An online, Indiana-based university, WGU Indiana grants access to nationally recognized degree programs to all Hoosiers who can complete a challenging online program.
- Career-focused bachelor's and master's degrees. WGU Indiana offers rigorous degree programs in Business, Information Technology, Teacher Education, and Health Professions (including Nursing) that are relevant to the needs of Indiana employers.
- Affordable tuition. A nonprofit university, WGU Indiana's tuition is among the lowest in the state, comparing very favorably to Indiana's public colleges and universities.
- Flexible online degree program. At WGU Indiana, you will leverage the power of online learning to make your program as flexible as possible. You'll be able to balance work and family obligations while you complete your studies.
A Proven Academic Model from a Nationally Recognized University, Customized for Indiana Residents
WGU Indiana is Indiana's only competency-based university, leveraging a unique approach to education pioneered by our parent institution, Western Governors University (WGU), which was founded by 19 U.S. governors in 1997, including the Governor of Indiana.
As part of a partnership with the state of Indiana, WGU provides the curriculum, learning resources, mentoring, and student services for WGU Indiana.
What this means for WGU Indiana students:
- Competency-based education model that measures learning, not credit hours. WGU Indiana employs WGU's unique competency-based approach to education. You'll advance in your degree program based on your demonstration of essential skills and knowledge in your chosen field.
- Superior learning resources. You'll have access to all of WGU's courses of study, online learning modules, electronic textbooks, web-based tutorials, and simulations as you work to complete your program.
- Affordable flat-rate tuition. At WGU Indiana, you pay a flat-rate tuition, not per credit hour. Unlike traditional colleges and universities, WGU Indiana operates on six-month terms that can begin on the first of any month, rather than semesters. Your own commitment and effort determine how much you can complete during each six-month term, which allows you to shorten your time to completion. Thus, the faster you progress, the lower your total and the more you save.
- Full accreditation. WGU Indiana degrees are granted under the current accreditation of Western Governors University, which is accredited through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). Teachers college programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and Nursing bachelor’s and master’s programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-887-6791).
- Personal support from a dedicated mentor. Online doesn't mean alone at WGU Indiana. You'll have the support of a mentor who will be your personal point of contact and your guide throughout your degree. You'll find that you'll actually receive greater support from your mentor than you ever did in a traditional classroom setting.
- An online community for Indiana students and access to WGU's national student community. You'll also be able to take advantage of WGU's student community and interact with students both within Indiana and from all over the country and abroad.
An Indiana University on a Mission
WGU Indiana was established early in 2010 as a part of Western Governors University with a unique mission to help Hoosiers obtain a quality education. When WGU was established in 1997, the founding governors which included the governor of Indiana realized that technology, the Internet, and a new model of competency-based education could transform higher education by creating new opportunities for working adults.
The mission of WGU Indiana is to open doors for adult learners who need the flexibility and affordability of an Indiana online university to achieve educational and career goals.
About WGU Indiana’s Faculty
Student learning is the primary focus of the faculty at WGU Indiana and the parent institution Western Governors University. Because of our unique student-centric, competency-based approach, faculty serve in different roles compared to traditional schools and other online schools. Read more.